Mango is becoming more and more common in grocery stores all the time and that is a really good thing because it is a wonderful, healthy food to add to our everyday diets. The Mango, known as “The King of Fruit,” is the most popular fruit in India. It is widely available in India during the summer season. But now it is available worldwide. It is very sweet in taste and also provides a sweet aroma that refreshes the mind.
Apart from the taste, mango gives many more benefits which is why it is considered another super food. Mangoes are a rich source of antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect our bodies from free radicals produced from oxidative stress. They are very effective in offering protection from cancer, cataract, early ageing issues and degenerative diseases.
They also contain potassium that maintains body fluid and regulates and balances blood pressure.
- Protect from Cancer - Mango contains a high amount of antioxidants like Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Along with these powerful antioxidants, they contain a good amounts of vital phytonutrients. These combinations provide mangos with excellent protective abilities versus free radicals. Free radicals are the cause of most cancers. Free radicals are produced in our body due to oxidative stress caused by pollution, UV radiation, and just by living our daily lives. Free radicals are responsible for the damage of our DNA, at a cellular level. Thus they mutate and can create an imbalance of cell function and that then turns the normal cell into a cancer cell. We all want to avoid this! Antioxidants and phytonutrients have proved to be very effective in protecting DNA from free radicals, by neutralizing these free radicals at the source.
- Cardiovascular Health - Eating mango fruit will help to lower cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood due to its rich fiber content. Thus, it increases the flow of blood in the nervous system and reduces the overall risk of stroke and heart attack. Mangos contain a nice amount of potassium which increase our fluid levels, thereby balancing sodium levels, which in turn, helps to balance blood pressure. So mango reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke!
- Improve Eye Health - Mangos contains a high amount of Vitamin A, an essential nutrient for eye health. They strengthen our eyes and protect us from free radicals as it is a rich source of other antioxidants, thus they are highly effective in preventing degeneration of the eye retina. thereby protecting from cataract and macular degeneration.
- Increase Blood Production – Mangos, the richest source of minerals like folates, copper, iron, manganese, magnesium and zinc among all tropical fruits, are wonderful at helping our bodies produce red blood cells. Also, the Vitamin C they contain increases the iron absorbing capacity of the body. So mangos are effective in protecting from anemia.
- Increase Immunity - Mango contains an excellent amounts of easily absorbed Vitamin C, which is powerful antioxidant itself that increases immunity and aids our bodies in their efforts to fight off colds, flu and various infections.
- Skin Health – The Mango is among the best foods for nourishing the skin. Eating a mango moisturizes your skin from the inside out, protecting it from various skin diseases. Which also tells us that mangos are great for fighting off the visual effects of ageing!
- Maintaining Body Fluids - Mango is a rich source of potassium. Potassium is essential to regulating our sodium level. Thus, consumption of mango regulates the fluid levels in the body helping to maintain a good blood pressure and steady and strong heartbeat
- .Improved Digestion - Mango contains a good amount of dietary fiber which makes it a ‘bulk laxative’. Thus, it improves digestion and prevents constipation. It contains enzymes that increase the breakdown of carbohydrate and proteins, so it is effective in increasing our energy level.
- Protect from Diabetes - Mangos have a low glycemic index which is helpful in regulating blood sugar and helping us to avoid the spike of sugar levels in our blood. Any diabetic knows just how important this can be! I was personally very happy to learn that this yummy fruit was also going to help me combat my diabetes! As a plus, it is a healthy sweet and tasty option for people with diabetes like me.